As you head out to have some fun in the sun on your boat, it's important to keep safety in mind when fishing, skiing, tubing or just relaxing on the water. This list of 10 safety items will help ensure that you are prepared for unexpected situations. For most boats, you can rest assured that you're prepared if you have the following items on board.
- A Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each person in the vessel. Make sure each one is the appropriate size for your passengers.
- One additional throwable flotation device, such as a ring or cushion.
- A fire extinguisher for a smaller boat, and several additional ones for larger boats with living and kitchen areas.
- A few signal flares. Check the expiration dates at the beginning of the season.
- Whistle, horn or other sound signal device.
- Running lights.
- Anchor and line.
- First aid kit stocked with fresh supplies.
- A VHF radio, or at least a cell phone. Make sure you bring along the contact information for the marina.
- And one more important item that you need for your boat is insurance.
Because boating accidents frequently result in injuries and/or damage to property, it is important to make sure you have coverage in the event of a mishap. Contact your independent insurance agent before your next adventure out on the water.
In addition, safe boating classes are offered on a regular basis. Some states require them before a boating license is issued, especially for younger drivers. You can take some classes online, and the relatively small investment of time is worth it in the long run. Plus, taking a safety course may also qualify you for a boat insurance discount.
As you prepare for boating season, make sure your watercraft is stocked with items that will help protect you and your family for many more seasons of sunny fun.
Your safety is important to us. Call Turrentine Insurance Agency at (281) 476-0557 for more information on Houston boat insurance.